Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT DOES AHS STAND FOR?
Alberta Health Services.
WHAT SAFETY PRECAUTIONS IS ASPEN CARE TAKING WITH COVID19?
Our staff are going above and beyond to ensure the safety of our staff and community. We are taking many safety precautions. For a full overview of our COVID19 protocols, please visit our COVID19 blog post.
WHAT ARE TRANSITIONAL SERVICES?
Transitional services provide the link between acute care clients and services available in the community. At Aspen Care, we help our clients live with dignity and stay safe, comfortable and independent for as long possible. Our goal is to help create a safe and comfortable environment for our clients wherever they prefer to live.
IF AHS or BC Health PROVIDES TRANSITIONAL SERVICES, WHY DO I NEED TRANSITIONAL SERVICES FROM PRIVATE COMPANIES LIKE ASPEN CARE?
Our provincial health care system is stretched to the limit. While BC Health and Alberta Health Services strives to provide transitional services, it is not able to provide adequate services for the following reasons:
- BC Health and AHS’s decisions are often based on financial considerations and not strictly on the need of a patient. It is common for BC Health or AHS to discharge patients from hospital within a few days after a serious illness such as brain tumor surgery but with no provision for home care services. Yet the patient needs 24/7 home care and other transitional services for a considerable time.
- BC and AHS’s focus is on recovery from illness and they do not generally cover other services such as companion care, meal preparation, shopping, house cleaning, etc.
- BC and AHS are not able to satisfy the personal preferences of patients.
* Please visit Vancouver Coastal Health, Alberta Health Services, or your Medical Service Plan (BC Health) for a list of services covered by provincial health. If you would like more information or assistance with resources, we'd be happy to help. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding what is covered by your health care plan: firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT IS THE COST OF ASPEN CARE’S SERVICES?
Frankly speaking, these services can be expensive, but who can put a cost on quality of life? We will help minimize cost by:
- Leveraging services provided by BC Health or Alberta Health Services – there is often funding available that the average person is unaware of
- Integrating the care that your own family and friends are able and willing to provide, and
- Then matching your requirements with consultants from our team.
For example, services of a 24/7 registered nurse can be very expensive. However, you may only require this service for a short duration. Sometimes, services of a live-in caregiver are all that is needed in the long-term and may be quite cost-effective. For an assessment, please email us at email@example.com
DOES ALBERTA HEALTH SERVICES (AHS) PROVIDE TRANSITIONAL SERVICES?
Yes. Alberta Health Services (AHS) provides a broad range of transitional services. We integrate our transitional services with those provided by Alberta Health Services and other resources in the community, thus enabling the best possible care for each client.
DOES YOUR BC MSP PROVIDE TRANSITIONAL SERVICES?
Yes. BC Health does provide a range of transitional health services. The ministry provides continued access to certain health supplements for up to one year to families with children who leave income assistance for employment. For more information, please visit: BC Health.
AHS IS PROVIDING ME WITH AN ASSESSMENT IN ORDER TO RELOCATE TO A COMMUNITY LIVING FACILITY OR A NURSING HOME. DO I HAVE OPTIONS? IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ME TO STAY AT HOME AND RECEIVE CARE FROM HOME INSTEAD?
You have the right to stay in the safety and comfort of your home as long as you choose to stay. Aspen Care’s team of experienced consultants can discuss your health wishes and needs with you and your family. We will outline your options based on your personal preferences, your safety, your comfort and your financial situation. We will also work with AHS to ensure that their support is maximized and fully integrated with our own services.
WHO WILL PROVIDE ME WITH TRANSITIONAL SERVICES?
Your comfort, safety and preference are our utmost concern. We will develop a comprehensive and personalized transitional care plan for you based on your specific requirements. This plan may include services of a Registered Nurse, LPNs, Companions, Physiotherapists, and even hospital staff such as physicians and surgeons.
HOW LONG CAN I USE TRANSITIONAL SERVICES FOR?
That is up to you. We know that remaining in the comfort and safety of your own home is a priority. Aspen Care will support you with this through the aid of transitional services. We will even journey with you and support end-of-life with palliative care.
I WANT HOME CARE SERVICES, WHAT DOES THAT LOOK LIKE?
Call us for a free consultation to determine what your care plan looks like. Our services range from 24/7 nursing care, to part-time assistance, to companionship. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us at 403-629-1313 to discuss how we can make your home care service work for you!
CAN I CHOOSE THE STAFF THAT I WANT?
An assessment will help us determine what staff are best suited for your needs. We will do our best to accommodate your health wishes, and accurately match up a caregiver that is best suited for you! If ever you want to switch caregivers, we will accommodate with no questions asked.